Here's a simple and delicious breakfast hash recipe that can be prepared on a griddle:
- 3-4 medium potatoes, diced (you can use Yukon gold or russet potatoes)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup diced cooked ham or breakfast sausage (optional)
- 2-3 tablespoons cooking oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon paprika (optional, for added flavor)
- Chopped fresh parsley or green onions for garnish (optional)
Preheat the Griddle:
- Begin by preheating your griddle to medium-high heat.
Prepare the Ingredients:
- Dice the potatoes into small cubes, ensuring they are relatively uniform in size for even cooking.
- Finely chop the onion and dice the bell pepper.
Cooking the Hash:
- Spread the cooking oil evenly over the griddle's surface.
- Add the diced potatoes, chopped onion, and bell pepper to the griddle. Spread them out into a single layer to allow for even cooking.
Seasoning and Cooking:
- Sprinkle the salt, pepper, and paprika (if using) over the ingredients on the griddle. Stir to combine and coat the vegetables evenly with the oil and seasonings.
Cook Until Golden Brown:
- Allow the mixture to cook on the griddle, stirring occasionally to ensure even browning. This will take around 15-20 minutes. Potatoes should become golden and crispy.
- If using ham or breakfast sausage, add it to the hash mix, allowing it to heat through.
Garnish and Serve:
- Once the potatoes are golden and crispy, and the ingredients are cooked through, remove the hash from the griddle.
- Garnish with chopped fresh parsley or green onions if desired.
This breakfast hash is a versatile dish; you can serve it as is or pair it with fried or scrambled eggs for a complete and hearty breakfast. It's a great way to start your day and provides a delicious combination of flavors and textures!