Cajun blackened catfish is a flavorful and spicy dish that's perfect for cooking on a griddle. Here's a recipe to create this delicious dish on your griddle:
- 4 catfish fillets (about 6-8 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Cajun Blackening Spice Mix:
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (adjust to your desired level of spiciness)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper (optional, for extra heat)
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Lemon wedges for serving
- Fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
Prepare the Blackening Spice Mix:
- In a small bowl, combine all the spices: paprika, thyme, oregano, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, salt, black pepper, and white pepper (if using). Mix well to create the Cajun blackening spice mix.
Preheat the Griddle:
- Preheat your griddle to medium-high heat.
Brush Catfish Fillets:
- Brush both sides of the catfish fillets with olive oil.
Coat with Cajun Spice Mix:
- Generously coat each catfish fillet with the Cajun blackening spice mix. Ensure both sides are well covered with the spices.
Cook on the Griddle:
- Place the catfish fillets on the preheated griddle and cook for about 4-5 minutes per side, or until the fillets are blackened and cooked through. The fish should easily flake with a fork when done.
Baste with Melted Butter:
- While cooking, baste the catfish fillets with melted butter for added flavor. This also helps to keep the fish moist.
- Once the catfish is cooked and blackened to your liking, remove it from the griddle.
Garnish and Serve:
- Garnish the blackened catfish with chopped fresh parsley and serve hot with lemon wedges on the side.
Cajun blackened catfish is often served with rice, vegetables, or a fresh salad. The combination of spicy and savory flavors makes it a delightful dish for those who enjoy a bit of heat in their meals. Enjoy your homemade Cajun blackened catfish from the griddle!