Grilled tomatoes on a griddle impart a delicious smoky flavor, making them a versatile and flavorful addition to various dishes. Here's a simple recipe for grilled tomatoes:
- 4 large tomatoes, preferably Roma or beefsteak
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh basil leaves for garnish (optional)
Preheat the Griddle:
- Preheat your griddle over medium-high heat. Make sure it's well-heated before adding the tomatoes.
Prepare the Tomatoes:
- Wash and pat dry the tomatoes.
- Slice the tomatoes into 1/2-inch thick rounds.
Season the Tomatoes:
- In a bowl, mix together olive oil, minced garlic, dried oregano, dried basil, salt, and pepper.
- Brush both sides of each tomato slice with the seasoned olive oil mixture.
Grill the Tomatoes:
- Place the tomato slices on the preheated griddle. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side or until grill marks appear, and the tomatoes are slightly softened.
Check for Doneness:
- Keep an eye on the tomatoes to prevent them from becoming too mushy. They should be tender but still hold their shape.
Garnish and Serve:
- Once grilled, transfer the tomatoes to a serving plate.
- Garnish with fresh basil leaves if desired.
Serve Hot or Cold:
- Grilled tomatoes can be served hot as a side dish or allowed to cool and served as part of salads, sandwiches, or pasta dishes.
Optional: Balsamic Glaze Drizzle
For an extra burst of flavor, you can drizzle a balsamic glaze over the grilled tomatoes before serving.
To make Balsamic Glaze:
- In a small saucepan, heat 1/2 cup of balsamic vinegar over medium heat.
- Simmer until it reduces by half and has a syrupy consistency.
Drizzle the balsamic glaze over the grilled tomatoes for an added layer of sweetness and acidity.
Enjoy the rich, smoky flavor of grilled tomatoes as a versatile and delicious addition to your meals!