Korean BBQ Bulgogi is a popular and delicious dish featuring thinly sliced marinated beef. It's a perfect choice for griddle grilling, and here's a recipe to make this savory and sweet Korean classic at home:
- 1.5 pounds (680g) thinly sliced beef (ribeye or sirloin works well)
- 1/2 medium pear, peeled and grated
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 thumb-sized piece of ginger, grated
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon mirin (rice wine)
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Sliced green onions
- Toasted sesame seeds
- Thinly sliced carrots and bell peppers
Prepare the Beef:
- Place the thinly sliced beef in a bowl. You can usually find pre-sliced beef for bulgogi at an Asian grocery store, or you can slice it yourself if you have a sharp knife and partially freeze the meat for easier slicing.
Make the Marinade:
- In a separate bowl, combine the grated pear, chopped onion, minced garlic, grated ginger, soy sauce, brown sugar, mirin, toasted sesame oil, sesame seeds, chopped green onions, and black pepper. Mix well until the sugar is fully dissolved.
Marinate the Beef:
- Pour the marinade over the sliced beef, making sure all the pieces are well coated. You can marinate for at least 30 minutes, but for the best flavor, marinate for 2-3 hours or overnight in the refrigerator. If you're in a hurry, you can proceed with a shorter marinating time.
Preheat the Griddle Grill:
- Preheat your griddle grill to medium-high heat (around 375-400°F or 190-200°C).
Grill the Bulgogi:
- Place the marinated beef slices on the hot griddle grill. Cook for 2-3 minutes per side, or until the meat is caramelized and slightly crispy on the edges. You may need to cook in batches to avoid overcrowding the grill.
- Transfer the grilled bulgogi to a serving plate. Garnish with sliced green onions, toasted sesame seeds, and thinly sliced carrots and bell peppers if desired.
Serve with Accompaniments:
- Serve your Korean BBQ Bulgogi with fresh lettuce leaves or perilla leaves for wrapping the meat, a side of steamed rice, and traditional Korean condiments like gochujang (red pepper paste) and ssamjang (a mixture of soybean paste and red pepper paste) for added flavor.
Enjoy your homemade Korean BBQ Bulgogi! It's a flavorful and satisfying dish that's sure to please your taste buds.