The Chopped Cheese sandwich is a classic New York City favorite that can be made on a flat top griddle. This sandwich features ground beef, onions, cheese, and a variety of condiments. Here's a simple recipe for making Chopped Cheese on a flat top griddle:
- 1 pound ground beef (80/20 lean-to-fat ratio)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 4 slices of American cheese
- 4 small hero rolls or sub rolls
- Lettuce, tomato, and pickles (optional, for garnish)
Preheat the Griddle: Preheat your flat top griddle to medium-high heat, around 350-375°F (175-190°C).
Prepare the Ground Beef:
- Divide the ground beef into small portions, making it easier to cook.
- Place the finely chopped onion on the griddle and cook it until it becomes translucent and slightly caramelized. Push the onions to the side of the griddle.
Cook the Ground Beef:
- Place the portions of ground beef on the hot griddle. Use a spatula to chop and break up the beef into smaller pieces as it cooks.
- Season the beef with salt and black pepper to taste and continue cooking until it's browned and cooked through. Mix in the caramelized onions during this process.
Melt the Cheese:
- Once the beef is fully cooked, top it with the slices of American cheese. Allow the cheese to melt over the beef, and then mix it in, creating a cheesy, meaty mixture.
Assemble the Chopped Cheese Sandwiches:
- While the beef and cheese are still sizzling, place the hero rolls on the griddle to warm them up and lightly toast them.
Dress Your Sandwich:
- On the bottom half of each roll, spread a combination of mayonnaise, ketchup, and mustard. Adjust the condiments to your taste.
Add the Chopped Cheese:
- Spoon the hot and cheesy beef mixture onto the rolls, spreading it evenly.
- Add lettuce, tomato slices, and pickles if you desire some extra freshness and crunch in your sandwich.
Close and Serve:
- Top the sandwiches with the other halves of the rolls to complete them.
- Serve your Chopped Cheese sandwiches hot, and enjoy!
Chopped Cheese sandwiches are known for their delicious combination of flavors and textures. They're quick to prepare and perfect for satisfying your sandwich cravings right on your flat top griddle.