Making pizza on a flat top griddle is a fun and delicious alternative to traditional oven-baked pizza. Here's a recipe for making a classic Margherita pizza on a flat top griddle:
- 1 pound pizza dough (store-bought or homemade)
- Flour (for dusting)
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced or torn into pieces
- 1-2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- Fresh basil leaves
- Olive oil
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
Preheat the Griddle: Preheat your flat top griddle to medium-high heat. It's essential to ensure that the griddle is evenly heated.
Prepare the Dough:
- Divide the pizza dough into individual portions, depending on how many pizzas you plan to make. A typical pizza is around 10-12 inches in diameter.
- Dust your work surface with flour to prevent sticking, and then roll out each dough portion into a thin, round pizza crust.
Oil the Griddle: Lightly grease the griddle surface with olive oil to prevent the dough from sticking.
Cook the Pizza Dough:
- Carefully place the rolled-out pizza dough on the hot griddle. Cook for a few minutes until the bottom is golden brown and has grill marks. This will help ensure the crust gets crispy.
Flip the Dough: Using a spatula, flip the dough over to cook the other side. This side doesn't need to cook as long as the bottom, as it will continue cooking once you add the toppings.
- Spread tomato sauce evenly over the cooked side of the dough.
- Sprinkle fresh mozzarella cheese evenly over the sauce.
- Add thinly sliced tomatoes, and season with salt and black pepper.
Cover and Cook: To help the cheese melt and the toppings cook, cover the griddle with a lid or a large, heat-safe bowl. The trapped heat will create a pizza oven effect.
Check the Bottom: Occasionally check the bottom of the pizza crust to ensure it's not burning. If it's cooking too quickly, lower the heat or move the pizza to a cooler part of the griddle.
Finish with Fresh Basil and Olive Oil: When the cheese is melted and bubbly, and the crust is fully cooked, remove the pizza from the griddle. Sprinkle with fresh basil leaves and drizzle with olive oil.
Serve: Slice the pizza and serve it hot. Enjoy your delicious Margherita pizza cooked on the flat top griddle!
Feel free to customize your pizza with additional toppings like pepperoni, olives, mushrooms, or any of your favorite ingredients. Making pizza on a griddle is a versatile and fun way to enjoy homemade pizza with a unique grilled flavor.