Hashbrowns are a delicious and classic breakfast side dish that you can easily make on your griddle. Here's a simple recipe for crispy, golden hashbrowns:
- 4 medium russet potatoes, peeled and grated
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Preheat the Griddle:
- Preheat your griddle to medium-high heat, around 350-375°F (175-190°C). Ensure that it's well-oiled or non-stick to prevent the hashbrowns from sticking.
Grate the Potatoes:
- Peel and grate the potatoes using a box grater. You can also use a food processor with a grating attachment for quicker results. Place the grated potatoes in a clean kitchen towel and squeeze out any excess moisture. This step is crucial for crispy hashbrowns.
Chop the Onion (Optional):
- If you want to add onion for extra flavor, finely chop it.
Season the Potatoes:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the grated potatoes (and chopped onion if using) with salt and pepper. Toss to distribute the seasonings evenly.
Form Hashbrown Patties:
- Divide the potato mixture into equal portions and shape them into patties. You can make them as thick or thin as you prefer. Thinner patties will be crispier.
Grease the Griddle:
- Add the vegetable oil to the hot griddle. Spread it evenly to coat the cooking surface.
Cook the Hashbrowns:
- Carefully place the hashbrown patties onto the griddle. Cook for about 5-7 minutes on each side, or until they are golden brown and crispy. The exact cooking time may vary based on the thickness of your patties and the heat of your griddle.
- Once the hashbrowns are cooked to your desired level of crispiness and have a golden color, transfer them to a plate lined with paper towels to absorb any excess oil. Serve your hot, crispy hashbrowns as a side dish for breakfast or brunch.
Tips for Perfect Hashbrowns:
- Squeezing out the moisture from the grated potatoes is essential for achieving crispy hashbrowns.
- Season the potatoes with enough salt and pepper to enhance the flavor.
- You can customize your hashbrowns by adding other seasonings or ingredients like garlic powder, paprika, or even grated cheese.
- Ensure the griddle is well-oiled to prevent sticking and to achieve a nice, golden crust.
Enjoy your homemade hashbrowns alongside your favorite breakfast items like eggs, bacon, or sausage for a satisfying morning meal.