Street corn, also known as elote, is a popular Mexican street food known for its savory and creamy flavors. Making street corn on your griddle is a fantastic way to achieve that signature smoky char. Here's a recipe for street corn on your griddle:
For the Grilled Corn:
- 6 ears of fresh corn, husked
- Olive oil for brushing
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
For the Elote Topping:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream or Mexican crema
- 1 cup crumbled queso fresco or cotija cheese
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (adjust to taste)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- Lime wedges
Grilling the Corn:
Preheat the Griddle:
- Preheat your griddle to medium-high heat, around 350-375°F (175-190°C).
Prepare the Corn:
- Husk the corn, removing all the silk. Brush each ear of corn with olive oil and season with salt and black pepper.
Grill the Corn:
- Place the prepared corn directly on the hot griddle. Grill for about 10-15 minutes, turning occasionally, until the corn is charred and cooked through. The griddle will impart a smoky flavor and those beautiful grill marks.
Making the Elote Topping:
Prepare the Sauce:
- In a mixing bowl, combine the mayonnaise, sour cream (or Mexican crema), and lime juice. Mix until you have a smooth and creamy sauce.
Assemble the Topping:
- In a separate dish, combine the crumbled queso fresco or cotija cheese, chili powder, and smoked paprika. Mix them together.
Completing the Street Corn:
Coat the Corn:
- Once the corn is grilled to your liking, use a brush or spoon to coat each ear of corn with the mayo-sour cream-lime sauce.
Sprinkle with Cheese Mixture:
- Roll the sauced corn in the queso fresco and chili powder mixture. Make sure it's evenly coated for a burst of flavor.
- Sprinkle the street corn with freshly chopped cilantro leaves. The cilantro adds a touch of freshness.
Serve with Lime Wedges:
- Serve the street corn hot and provide lime wedges for a zesty finish. Squeezing fresh lime juice on the corn is a delightful touch.
Street corn is a popular and delicious treat that offers a combination of smoky, creamy, and tangy flavors. It's perfect as a side dish for barbecues, picnics, or any outdoor gathering. Your griddle adds that special charred flavor that makes it an authentic and delightful experience. Enjoy your homemade elote!