Tacos Al Pastor are a delicious and iconic Mexican street food, typically made with marinated and spit-roasted pork. While traditional preparation involves a vertical rotisserie, you can make a mouthwatering version on your griddle. Here's a recipe for Tacos Al Pastor on your griddle:
For the Al Pastor Marinade:
- 2 pounds of pork shoulder, thinly sliced
- 3 dried guajillo chilies, seeded and soaked in hot water
- 2 dried ancho chilies, seeded and soaked in hot water
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the Tacos:
- Small corn tortillas
- Sliced fresh pineapple
- Diced white onion
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Lime wedges
- Salsa (salsa verde or salsa roja)
Preparing the Al Pastor Marinade:
Prepare the Dried Chilies:
- Soak the dried guajillo and ancho chilies in hot water for about 15-20 minutes until they're softened. Then, remove the seeds.
Blend the Marinade:
- In a blender, combine the soaked chilies, chopped onion, minced garlic, white vinegar, pineapple juice, ground cumin, dried oregano, salt, and pepper. Blend until you have a smooth, thick marinade.
Marinate the Pork:
- Place the thinly sliced pork shoulder in a bowl and pour the marinade over it. Ensure that all the pork is well coated with the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight for the best flavor.
Griddling the Al Pastor:
Preheat the Griddle:
- Preheat your griddle to medium-high heat, around 350-375°F (175-190°C).
Cook the Al Pastor:
- Place the marinated pork slices on the hot griddle. Cook for 3-5 minutes, or until the pork is nicely seared and cooked through. Stir and flip the meat to ensure even cooking.
- During the last minute of griddling, add slices of fresh pineapple to the griddle to heat and caramelize slightly.
Assembling Tacos Al Pastor:
- While the pork and pineapple are grilling, warm the corn tortillas on the griddle for a few seconds on each side.
Build Your Tacos:
- Place some of the griddled pork and pineapple on each warm tortilla.
- Top the tacos with diced white onion and chopped cilantro.
Salsa and Lime:
- Serve the Tacos Al Pastor with lime wedges and your choice of salsa (salsa verde or salsa roja).
Serve and Enjoy:
- Serve your Tacos Al Pastor hot and fresh. These tacos are often served with a side of grilled spring onions or jalapeños for extra flavor.
Tacos Al Pastor are a wonderful combination of savory, spicy, and sweet flavors. The marinade infuses the pork with a delicious taste, and the griddle adds a smoky sear, making this a delectable street food experience at home.