Tuna steak with wasabi glaze is a delectable and elegant dish that's quick and easy to prepare on your griddle. The griddle's high heat creates a beautiful sear on the tuna while locking in its moist and tender qualities. Here's a recipe to make Tuna Steak with Wasabi Glaze on your griddle:
For the Tuna Steak:
- 2 fresh tuna steaks (about 1 inch thick)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil (for griddling)
For the Wasabi Glaze:
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1-2 teaspoons wasabi paste (adjust to your desired level of spiciness)
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
Preparing the Wasabi Glaze:
In a small saucepan, combine the soy sauce, honey, wasabi paste, grated ginger, minced garlic, rice vinegar, and sesame oil.
Heat the mixture over low to medium heat, stirring continuously until the glaze thickens and has a syrup-like consistency. This should take about 5-7 minutes.
Remove the saucepan from the heat and set the glaze aside to cool. It will continue to thicken as it cools.
Griddling the Tuna Steak:
Preheat Your Griddle:
- Preheat your griddle to high heat, approximately 400-450°F (200-230°C).
Season the Tuna:
- Season the tuna steaks with salt and black pepper on both sides. Be mindful not to over-season, as the glaze will provide plenty of flavor.
Brush with Oil:
- Brush the griddle with vegetable oil to prevent sticking.
Sear the Tuna:
- Place the seasoned tuna steaks on the hot griddle. Sear them for about 1-2 minutes per side for rare to medium-rare doneness. Adjust the cooking time to your preference.
Brush with Wasabi Glaze:
- In the last minute of cooking, brush the tuna steaks with the prepared wasabi glaze on one side.
Flip and Glaze Again:
- Flip the tuna steaks and brush the other side with more wasabi glaze. This will create a flavorful, glossy coating on the fish.
Remove and Rest:
- Once the tuna steaks reach your desired level of doneness and have a nice sear, remove them from the griddle.
Serve and Enjoy:
- Let the tuna steaks rest for a minute or two, then slice them into thin strips. Serve them drizzled with any remaining wasabi glaze.
This Tuna Steak with Wasabi Glaze is a perfect dish for those who enjoy the unique combination of seared tuna and a slightly spicy glaze. Serve it with a side of steamed vegetables or a light salad for a well-balanced and satisfying meal.