Making vegan fried rice on a griddle is a delicious and plant-based twist on a classic dish. Here's a simple recipe:
- 2 cups cooked and cooled white rice (preferably day-old)
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup diced bell peppers (any color)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (or tamari for a gluten-free option)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Sliced green onions for garnish
- Tofu or tempeh (optional, for added protein)
Preheat the Griddle: Preheat your griddle to medium heat, around 375°F (190-200°C).
- Add the vegetable oil to the hot griddle.
- Toss in the diced onions and carrots and stir-fry them until they begin to soften, about 3-4 minutes.
Add Bell Peppers and Garlic:
- Add the diced bell peppers and minced garlic to the griddle, and continue stir-frying for another 2-3 minutes, or until the peppers are tender and the garlic is fragrant.
If Using Tofu or Tempeh:
- If you're adding tofu or tempeh for extra protein, cut it into small cubes and add it to the griddle along with the veggies. Stir-fry until it's heated through and slightly browned.
Push Veggies (and Tofu/Tempeh) to the Side:
- Push the cooked vegetables (and tofu/tempeh) to one side of the griddle to make space for the eggs.
- Pour the beaten eggs onto the empty side of the griddle and scramble them until they're mostly cooked but still slightly runny.
- Mix the scrambled eggs into the vegetables (and tofu/tempeh, if using).
Add Rice and Soy Sauce:
- Add the cooled cooked rice to the griddle, breaking it up as you stir it with the other ingredients.
- Drizzle 2 tablespoons of soy sauce and 1 tablespoon of sesame oil over the rice and stir-fry, ensuring that the sauces are evenly distributed.
Add Frozen Peas:
- Add the frozen peas to the griddle and continue stir-frying. The peas will heat through quickly.
- Continue to stir-fry the rice and other ingredients for about 5-7 minutes, or until the rice is heated through and has absorbed the flavors.
Season with Salt and Pepper:
- Season the vegan fried rice with salt and black pepper to taste.
Garnish and Serve:
- Garnish the dish with sliced green onions.
- Serve hot and enjoy your delicious homemade vegan fried rice cooked on the griddle.
Feel free to customize your vegan fried rice by adding other vegetables like bean sprouts, diced scallions, or sliced mushrooms to create your own signature version of this plant-based classic.